Legalization of Stay in Poland

For citizens of EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland

If you plan to stay in Poland for longer than 3 months, you are obliged to register your stay at the Mazovian Voivodeship Office (Mazowiecki Urząd Wojewódzki).

The registration procedure is easy and free-of-charge. You need to submit the following documents:

  • an application form,
  • ID or passport,
  • in the case of employment– written work order by the employer or the entity authorized to entrust the performance of specific work to the EU citizen of its intention to issue that citizen with a work order, or a document certifying that the citizen has been entrusted with the performance of specific work
  • in the case of higher education, including PhD education: certificate of enrolment, health insurance confirmation, and proof of having sufficient financial resources for the stay (also for accompanying family members) by presenting a bank statement or a credit card. The minimum monthly amounts are PLN 701 for persons coming alone, or PLN 528 for each family member.

The document confirming the registration is a written statement valid for an indefinite period.

More information:

For third country citizens

If you plan to stay in Poland longer then the period covered by your visa, you will need to apply for a temporary residence permit. Residence permits are issued by the Voivodeship Offices (Urząd Wojewódzki), competent for the region of your place of residence in Poland.

You can apply for a residence permit at any time during your legal stay in Poland, at the latest on its last day (e.g. on the last day of your visa validity). However, it is recommended to apply well in advance, as the whole procedure might take from 4 to 6 months.

After submitting your application together with the required documents, your stay continues to be legal, even after your visa or other document expires.

How to apply for a temporary residence card (TRC)?

  1. Create an account on the INPOL platform: It is available in English.
  2. Submit an electronic application for a temporary residence card. You should choose the relevant type of TRC, depending on your activity in Poland (doctoral studies, paid activity, conducting scientific research). The application should be filled in in the Polish language.
  3. Book an appointment at the Mazovian Voivodship Office – the calendar will be available in the INPOL system after submitting your electronic application.
  4. Collect all the necessary documents which are required for the specific type of TRC you are applying for – some should be prepared by you and some by the IBB (our Welcome Center will take care of those).
  5. Pay for the application fee (the amount varies for different types of TRC).
  6. Visit the Voivodship Office at the booked date for submitting the paper version of application with all attachments.
  7. Wait for the decision (officially 3 months from the date of your appointment). You will get notification and an invitation to pick up your card.
  8. Pay for the card.
  9. Collect your TRC (about 1-1.5 months after the decision is taken).

Our Welcome Center will guide you through the whole procedure.

More information about the requirements: Residence permit for citizens of third countries | EURAXESS